Posted for Northampton and Lamport Railway
There are many different opportunities to volunteer with the Northampton and Lamport Railway.
1. Loco and rolling stock restoration and maintenance (steam, diesel, carriages, wagons)
2. On-train staff (Guard, Ticket Inspector) Permanent Way & Civil Engineering - Maintenance of the track, line side equipment and structures Lineside and planting - Keeping the railway looking smart—planting flowers, clearing vegetation, etc. Signal & Telegraph - Systems installation, restoration & maintenance of the signals, telephones, networks and signal boxes. Operation of signal boxes during services Infrastructure - Carpenters, joiners, plumbers, civil engineering, electricians Booking Office - Ticket sales and platform duties Catering Department - Platform
3 Buffet and on-train catering Souvenir shop and Emporium bookshop - Staff
There are roles to suit your interests and abilities.
There are working parties on site every weekend throughout the year. The Railway is open to the public on Sundays (plus special events) between April and December
Why not join , make new friends, learn new skills and help preserve and restore part of our local transport heritage.
No experience needed. You may have skills we don't yet know we need!
- Arts, Heritage and Entertainment
- Computers, IT and Websites
- Cooking and Catering
- General Helping
- Marketing and Media
- Practical Skills
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Training offered for various different roles
Safety on the railway
- Volunteer Policy
Volunteers covered by insurance
Provided you register as a member of the Railway's charity
- Written role description
When do I need to be available?
There are also some working parties during the week, for those that are available
Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
Brackley District Girlguiding
Buckingham Canal Society
1st Houghton Scout Group