Posted for SERVE
Become a Volunteer Befriender to help older people 65+ who are frail, lonely and isolated in their own home. You will provide much needed companionship with the opportunity to connect with the local community.
The reality is, not everyone has a family or friend support network that they can rely on for guidance and advice to help them through difficult times. Volunteers can help fill this gap by offering free time and providing support. Volunteers will help over a long period of time, helping to build trust and a relationship.
Volunteer befrienders make regular visits, once a week, to an older person and look to build friendships, offer support, and help people to feel less isolated socially. Volunteers and residents are matched, and this takes on board person-centred support including individual's interests, skills, and experiences.
If you have any questions about volunteering with us or would like to have an informal chat about the role before you apply, please contact the office on 01933 315 555.
Just imagine what a difference
you could make by giving an hour or so of your time to chat to someone. No
personal care or cleaning would be involved, just companionship. Why not spend
your time reading to someone, listening to someone or simply laughing with
someone. Available in East Northants, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby.
- Being available to volunteer for a minimum of one hour per week
- Building a sensitive and caring relationship with the service user
- Spending time with the service user and engaging in activities that are mutually agreed upon (i.e. chatting, playing a board game, watching TV)
- Being understanding rather than judgmental about a service user’s situation or circumstances
- Respecting the confidentiality of service users at all times
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Attending induction training and participation in ongoing training activities/networking meetings
- Respecting different cultural values and working in a non-discriminatory manner
- Meeting the Befriending Coordinator for feedback and support
- Informing the Befriending Coordinator of any concerns about the
Volunteers must be 18 and over
- DBS check required
Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
Written role description
This opportunity is available Countywide.
When do I need to be available?
Start Date: 03/06/2021
End Date: 03/06/2023
More Opportunities from SERVE