7 June 2021
Virgin Media O2 Invites UK’s Local Charities to Apply for Grants of £1,000
Local charities have until 14 June to apply for one of 500 grants to support environmental and community belonging projects that will inspire people across the UK to get together and create positive change as the nation emerges from the pandemic.
Virgin Media O2 has launched the new £500,000 ‘Together Fund’ with the aim of ‘supercharging’ local charities across the UK as the nation emerges from lockdown. The Together Fund forms part of Virgin Media O2’s support for the Together coalition which aims to bring people together to help build a kinder, closer and more connected society.
Grants of £1,000 will support project and initiatives that aim to either:
- Reduce loneliness and isolation and promote a sense of community belonging, or
- Inspire positive action to enhance and protect nature and the local environment
Given Virgin Media O2’s role as a digital connectivity provide, the fund will also place an emphasis on supercharging charities that use digital technology to support the delivery of their projects or activities.
Applications will be accepted from local charities registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales, the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland or the Office of Scottish Charity Regulation.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have a turnover of less than £1 million.
- Have all financial statements required by the charity commission submitted on time for the previous two financial years.
- Be able to report back on the social impact of the grant within timescales provided.
- Be able to celebrate Thank You Day on 4 July 2021 either through a COVID-secure recognition event or social media celebration.
The launch of the fund coincides with the merger of broadband provider Virgin Media and mobile phone network O2.
Commenting at the Fund’s launch, CEO of Virgin Media O2, Lutz Schüler, said:
“As one of our first acts as a new business we’ve created a fund dedicated to supercharging hundreds of community-based charities that are already doing incredible things.
“Our broadband and mobile networks already connect millions of people across the country, but as a business we’re committed to doing more to bring people together, accelerate positive social and environmental change and promote a sense of community belonging as we push ahead with our mission to upgrade the UK.“
Charities need to register and apply using Neighbourly, which is distributing the fund.
Applications will be accepted from 2 June 2021 until midnight on Monday 14 June 2021.