17 August 2020
New Funding for Local Projects that Support Armed Forces Communities
Applications are now being accepted to a new grants programme that support local Armed Forces communities as they address the needs that have arisen as a result of the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic.
Grants of up to £20,000 are available for projects lasting up to a year.
In 2020, there is particular interest in projects that help Armed Forces communities move to a ‘new normal’ following the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic, while continuing to support local needs and reduce isolation.
Projects must fit under one of two main themes:
- Empowering Armed Forces communities to become more engaged in their local area.
- Providing opportunities for isolated members of the Armed Forces community to take part in activities that improve general wellbeing.
Funding can be used for a wide range of projects. Eligible costs might include:
- Staff time for a fixed-term project, including managing volunteers.
- Purchasing items that provide practical support, or that can enable activities to take place.
- Purchasing items to provide support, such as additional telephones or laptops.
- Reasonable costs for storing and transporting items, including wear and tear on private vehicles.
- Reasonable overheads that reflect the cost of delivering the project.
Applications will be considered from established registered charities or community interest companies with substantial recent experience of supporting Armed Forces communities; Armed Forces unit or bases; local authorities; and schools.
There will be two application rounds in 2020.
The deadline for Round 1 applications is noon on 11 September 2020.