20 April 2020
Morrisons Foundation – COVID-19 Homeless Support Fund
Based in Bradford, the supermarket chain Morrisons has established the Morrisons Foundation to support local good causes across Great Britain. The Foundation Trustees have pledged support for the Homeless Support Fund, aiming to fund charities caring for the homeless during the coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak and ensure help gets to those who need it most.
The Foundation recognises that homeless people are particularly vulnerable to COVID-19 because they are more likely to have underlying health conditions and are less able to access basic sanitation. For those who are sleeping rough or are in a crowded night shelter, it is impossible to self-isolate and maintain social distance.
- Be registered with the Commission/OSCR for a minimum of one year and have filed their documents (ie trustee’s reports and financial accounts) on time.
- Work directly with homeless people and provide support of one or more of the areas the fund cover.
- Accept payment electronically over the phone (by credit card or BACS).
There is a total of £500,000 for this fund. Awards up to £10,000 are available. However, smaller requests will allow more charities to be supported from the fund.
Registered charities who care for the homeless can apply for support to cover the following broad areas:
- Outreach and support for rough sleepers, including provision of essentials.
- Delivery of services in hostels and shelters.
- Information and advice.
Applications can be made at any time.