2 November 2020
Funding to Tackle Food Poverty
Local organisations can apply for funding to organise local projects that improve access to food and provide sustainable solutions to food poverty.
A £1.5 million Fund has opened for applications from local charities and community organisations across the UK that are working to support vulnerable communities affected by food poverty and connect them with the support they need.
The funding is for sustainable food poverty programmes which address any of the following issues:
- Redistributing surplus food to the people who need it most in local communities
- Providing easy access to nutritious food and balanced meals for customers with a limited budget
- Educating and upskilling customers on low cost meal solutions, limiting food waste and shopping smartly
- Supporting future generations by prioritising the wellbeing of children and young people struggling with food insecurity
- Food programmes for vulnerable communities, delivered in those communities
The types of programmes that can be supported include
- Programmes that tackle food waste
- Programmes that encourage healthy eating
- Holiday hunger schemes
The grant amount that organisations can apply for depends on the local area where the applicant organisation operates but most grants will be in the £2,000 to £10,000 range. Larger grants may be made available for organisations that are covering a larger geographic area or are leading on a coordinated partnership response.
The deadline for applications is 13 November 2020.