Volunteer Puppy Parent
Posted for Canine Partners
Canine Partners are looking for caring family homes in Bedford to raise, socialise and train puppies and young dogs up to the age of 18 months old. Ideally with-in 45 minutes drive of MK41 6EJ post code area. They consider this a full time volunteer role as the puppy / dog will live with you from 8 weeks old until it is ready to progress into advanced training. This is between 14 to 18 months old.
You will be available for, and attend training sessions that will involve:
- home visits
- virtual online training
- regular group puppy training classes
Regular visits within your local community to various environments to expose the puppy to the following conditions in order to socialise them: busy town environments, car travel, public transport, children, cats, other dogs (different breeds), and other domestic animals.
With guidance, support and advice from their expert trainers, Canine Partners will teach you the fundamentals of puppy socialisation as well as simple commands and exercises.
- Home behaviour
- Social behaviour
- Walking on a lead
- Off lead exercise
- General obedience
Maintaining the dog’s health and welfare and, via support and training, to recognise behaviour/health concerns and report them immediately to your Canine Partners trainer
- The primary puppy parent must be 18 years or over.
- Have a dog friendly secure garden and a designated dog toileting area (this will be discussed during interview)
- If you are a dog owner, you can have two pet dogs of suitable temperament. Your pet dogs will be assessed as part of the home assessment. They must be over 18 months of age
- At home for most of the day and live within 45 minutes of the requested location
- Time to provide the puppy with the socialisation and education it needs in order to prepare it for advanced training
- Stamina to manage a young active puppy / dog
- Access to own transport to travel to classes and training locations on a regular basis
- Understand that the dog in your care remains under the ownership of Canine Partners
18 and over
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
Payment of expenditure such as mileage to and from a training session with a Canine Partner representative
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.
When do I need to be available?
Canine Partners consider this a full time volunteer role as the puppy / dog will live with you from 8 weeks old until it is ready to progress into advanced training. This is between 14 to 18 months old.