Posted for Grand Union Housing Group
Grand Union Housing (GUH) is committed to promoting the well being of their tenants and the communities in which they live.
2020 has been a difficult year with the pandemic contributing to the loneliness and isolation felt by many of the more vulnerable tenants. The year has also seen many people come together in a united effort to help and support those in need. This is cause for celebration and something GUH would like to support further, by setting up a trial telephone befriending service. This will link people who have time to give, with tenants in need of friendship and support.
If you want to help others feel less isolated and lonely, could you be a befriender and be part of a team?
- Each befriender will be given up to three people each week to phone and talk to for 30-45 minutes
- Full web-based training will be given before you start the role, as well as regular training updates
- You will be supported by a GUH staff member through regular catch up sessions
- There may be opportunities for further training and development if you are interested
You will need to complete a simple application form and provide 2 references.
You will then have a brief telephone interview where you will find out more about the role, and be able to ask questions.
Able to listen with empathy and understanding without being judgemental. Encourage conversation focusing on the positive, helping people to smile.
- Mental Health
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Supporting People and Befriending
Aged 18 and over
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
Cost of phone calls and any other agreed out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Written role description
When do I need to be available?
Ideally, if you can regularly volunteer for 1-3 hours each week for at least 3 months.
More Opportunities from Grand Union Housing Group
Grand Union Housing Group
St Crispin Retirement Village
Macmillan Cancer Support
Age UK Northamptonshire