Posted for Hunsbury Library
Supporting our community is vitally important at LibraryPlus and volunteers can make a real difference. You could help in a variety of ways including making customers feel welcome in the library, signposting to information and services, helping them to use library equipment and resources, delivering books to those unable to visit the library, delivering library activities, or simply helping with refreshments at regular groups.
If you are interested in volunteering with your local library, you can discuss your interests with a member of staff who will help you to find a role that suits you.
Tasks are dependent on the type of role, but may include:
- Meeting and greeting visitors to the library
- Explaining the layout of the library and signposting to services
- Assisting with the use of self-service machines or accessing the library online catalogue
- Supporting and assisting customers using the People’s Network computers, Hublets or Wi-Fi
- Delivering and collecting books from those not able to visit the library in person
- Delivering children's or adult activities
- Shelving books
- Arts, Heritage and Entertainment
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Employment, Education and Training
- Families and Parenting
- Mental Health
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Young People
- Advice and Information
- Computers, IT and Websites
- General Helping
- Local Events
- One-off Activity
- Support and Information
- Supporting People and Befriending
The library is situated within a single-floor building with wide pathways and an open floor plan.
You must be aged 14 or over to volunteer within Northamptonshire Libraries.
DBS check required
A DBS check will be carried out for those wishing to host or assist with children's events.
Equal Opportunities Policy
We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and circumstances.
Volunteers delivering books to housebound patrons with their own vehicles will have their travel expenses reimbursed.
Health and Safety Policy
We have a robust Health & Safety policy that you will be familiarised with upon induction.
You will be mentored by experienced staff who you can approach with any questions or concerns.
Full training will be given upon induction.
A full induction will be given upon receipt of two references.
We have a volunteer policy that you will be familiarised with during an informal discussion.
Volunteers covered by insurance
Our volunteers are covered by the library service's insurance policy.
- Written role description
When do I need to be available?
Charity Crafts (snvb)
Alzheimer’s Research UK
The Free Rangers' Short Break Service
Children Come First
Weston Favell Library