Posted for Brixworth Library
Library Service Volunteer - Purpose of the role
Supporting our community is vitally important at LibraryPlus and our volunteers can make a real difference.You could help us in a variety of ways including:
- making customers feel welcome in the library
- signposting to information and services
- helping them to use library equipment and resources
- delivering books to those unable to visit the library
- delivering library activities or simply helping with refreshments at regular groups.
If you are interested in volunteering with your local library, you can discuss your interests with a member of staff who will help you to find a role that suits you.
Main tasks are dependent on the type of role, but may include:
• Meeting and greeting visitors to the library
• Explaining the layout of the library and signposting to services
• Assisting with the use of self-service machines or accessing the library online catalogue
• Supporting and assisting customers using the People’s Network computers, Hublets or Wi-Fi
• Delivering and collecting books from those not able to visit the library in person
• Delivering childrens or adult activities
• Shelving books
What do I need to get involved? As each role is different the skills required will be dependent on the task but it is important that you have an interest in the role you are doing.
What's in it for me? • Developing your skills • Undertaking relevant training provided by library staff members • Giving something back to your local community by supporting others • Meeting new people and being a part of the LibraryPlus team • Receiving a reference from the Library Manager • Gaining volunteer hours which can be used towards the Duke of Edinburgh award and other accredited volunteering schemes
Does this role require DBS checks? The requirement of a DBS check depends on what role you are undertaking.
Unable to accept applications for volunteers under 14 years of age
DBS check required
DBS check only required for specific roles
- Equal Opportunities Policy
Mileage can be reclaimed for 'Library to You' roles
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When do I need to be available?
Brixworth Library and Community Centre
More Opportunities from Brixworth Library
British Red Cross (Community Education)
ARCh (Assisted Reading for Children)
Play Action International
Age UK Northamptonshire
Tall Trees Animal Sanctuary (Anniemals)