Honorary Treasurer – Trustee
Posted for Northamptonshire Dyslexia Association
We are seeking a skilled and forward-thinking individual with a finance, book-keeping, or accounting background to join the Board of Trustees of the Northamptonshire & Buckinghamshire Dyslexia Association.
As we receive no funding, there are no salaried staff, so rely on the work of our volunteer Trustees, and membership fees to fund the line rental for the helpline, web design costs and liability and Indemnity insurance to maintain our services. Occasional grants and donations have enabled us to run specific projects such as Dyslexia Conferences for Parents and Teachers, the DACT project for unemployed dyslexics, and the Parent Training Initiative (DyPSI) for parents of dyslexia children
Direct Report: Works closely with the Chair and other trustees.
Background: Knowledge of Financial Management, Accounting or Book-keeping,
While we are looking for someone with financial or accounting qualifications and experience and it would also be desirable to have Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees.
1.0 Role Summary
• Oversee the Charity’s financial affairs and ensure they are legal, constitutional and with accepted accounting practice.
• Ensure that proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
2.0 Main Responsibilities
Budgeting and financial planning
• Monitor and report on the financial health of the Charity at regular intervals.
• Production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
• Planning/budgeting processes in participation with the Board and constructively challenge where required.
• Suggest alternative scenarios while evaluating strategic plans as a part of the risk management process and as a part of performance and reporting scenarios.
• Liaise with the Chair for production of Grant Funding reports (when applicable)
• Liaise with the Chair to file the Annual Report with the Charity Commission.
Statutory Financial Reporting
• Guide and advise fellow trustees to formally approve the annual report and audited accounts.
• Explain technicalities of accounts in plain language which is fully understood by the trustees and members.
• To produce management accounts in a timely manner for statutory Trustee/Membership meetings and AGM Annual report.
3.0 Person Specification
We are looking for someone with who has the following personal qualities: Passion and commitment. Communication and interpersonal skills. Analytical skills, and ability to work independently, or collaboratively as part of the team.
• Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
• Good communication skills
• Willingness to be a signatory on the Charity Bank Account
• Competent use of IT skills.
• Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
• Liaising with the Membership Secretary to identify membership subscriptions and unidentified income.
• Knowledge and experience of charity fundraising and finance practices such as grant funding.
• Dedicated to the organisation’s cause and objectives
• A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
• Familiarity with ‘Stripe’ Automated membership system.
• An interest in Dyslexia or other Neurodiverse Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) would be desirable, but not essential.
• Compliance with the NBDA Code of Practice and willing to sign the ‘Conflict of Interests declaration.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Teams.
4.0 Time Commitment
• The Board meets at least four times a year (including the AGM) and it is desirable for the Treasurer to be available for all, but essentially the AGM.
• As we currently have a very small annual turnover, (under £10,000 pa) the role is not expected to onerous or time consuming.
• Due to the geographical distance between the Trustees/committee - all board meetings (with the possible exception of the AGM) are conducted online via M.S. Teams or Zoom on a weekday evening, usually between 19:30 – 21:00hrs by mutual agreement of the Trustees.
No additional details recorded for this opportunity.
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.
When do I need to be available?
More Opportunities from Northamptonshire Dyslexia Association
Northamptonshire Dyslexia Association
Northamptonshire Dyslexia Association