Guide Dog Puppy Walkers /Foster parents for puppies- DAVENTRY & District
Posted for Guide Dogs
Could you offer a home to a guide dog puppy from the age of 6-7 weeks to approximately 12-15 months?
This is a full time role as the puppy will live with the volunteer. You would be providing the puppy with a vital foundation for its future role as a guide dog with a blind or partially sighted person.
WHAT DOES THE ROLE INVOLVE?
- Feeding, training and generally caring for the puppy's needs on a daily basis is time consuming and particularly when the puppy is young it should not be left alone for more than 3 hours.
- You develop and care for the puppy as directed by the Guide Dogs supervisor.
- You will be responsible for familiarising the puppy with many different environments, and teaching basic obedience commands.
- You will need access to a suitable area where the puppy could go to the toilet during the day, including first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
In return you will have the challenge and reward of seeing a puppy develop in your home, as well as the satisfaction that you have had a pivotal role in providing guide dogs that enable blind and partially sighted people to enjoy the same freedom of movement as everyone else.
Being a puppy carer/walker takes time and energy, patience and an awareness of the job that the puppy will be doing when mature. You always have to be aware that bad habits allowed to develop may stop the puppy qualifying, so extra time and effort has to be made to maximise your puppies chances of success.
Apart from basic obedience training your puppy has to be exposed to all the everyday things he/she may encounter with his/her blind owner- traffic , visits to the dentist, travelling on buses and trains so you should be someone who gets out and about in the community.
Note the role could be shared with a friend if required.
- Wildlife and Animals
- General Helping
- Practical Skills
18 and over
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When do I need to be available?
Start Date: 08/03/2021
End Date: 08/03/2022
Flexible to suit
More Opportunities from Guide Dogs
Leonard Cheshire Disability
RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) Northants Branch
Northampton and Lamport Railway
Kelmarsh Hall and Gardens