Could you sit with a disabled or elderly person for a couple of hours to give someone a break?
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To enable individuals with a caring responsibility for a husband, wife, partner, relative or friend to take some time away from their caring role. The volunteer will be supporting the looked after person whilst their main carer is away. The role of befriender does not involve providing personal care, undertaking cooking, shopping or any other domestic duties.
In this role you would be volunteering for Northamptonshire Carers.
The role involves befriending a person in their own home environment. The service is available across the whole of the county of Northamptonshire but you would be volunteering in a location local to you. The role could involve you volunteering in your own town or village.
For any travel undertaken during your volunteering expenses are claimable so that you are not out-of-pocket. This requires completion of a travel claim form and provision of bank account
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Befriend an individual in their own home environment through regular or more occasional visits.
- If you have any concerns during the befriending visit to report them to and seek advice from the Volunteer Co-ordinator.
It is anticipated that for this role you would be able to commit between 2 and 3 hours a week or the same amount of time fortnightly or monthly, between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday.
As a volunteer should you be unable to undertake a planned visit you would be required to inform the Volunteer Co-ordinator as soon as possible.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
For this role you will need to be at least 18 years old and have the following skills:
- Good communication skills
Whilst previous experience is not essential it may prove helpful to this role if you have:
- Worked in the caring professions, for example, social care, social work or nursing.
- Have skills that are transferable from either work or life experience(for example, having been in a caring role yourself).
Volunteers receive induction which will include:
- Clarification of the befriending role and arrangements for on-going support
- Lone-worker training
It is possible that, dependent on the needs of the person you are supporting, you may be offered some training in dementia awareness.
- Health and Social Care
- Mental Health
- Older People
- Supporting People and Befriending
18 and over
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When do I need to be available?
Start Date: 08/03/2021
End Date: 08/03/2022
Flexible to suit
Kettering General Hospital [K]
Northamptonshire Libraries and Information Service: Daventry Library
Azuka, Places for People
Age UK Northamptonshire